[ubuntu-us-ma] OnSite Inspection Was: server down at SETC

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 00:26:26 BST 2010

Hey Mike and Everyone,

Checking the server on site confirms that it's working, still in use and
safe in the server room. The PXE booting still works and the DHCP is
still configured correctly.

I can only assume that either the IP address has changed, the router has
been changed or there is a new firewall. This can be fixed in time,
there is no rush as far as I can see since everything is working inside.

Since no one there is using the PXE boot (because they don't know what
it is, how to use it or just don't care about Free and Open Source) I
have decided to give the SETC one evening to teach people how to use the
PXE boot on the 19th October 2010. We'll hopefully get a few students in
who come regularly enough to be able to lend a hand and use the ubuntu
install when needed.

Martin,

P.S. I feel that I must relay the story though of what I saw this
evening. A computer that now has an un-licensed version of windows xp
instead of the Ubuntu that used to be on it and it didn't have any
networking or graphics drivers installed. Both Intel. the machine could
have still be working absolutely perfectly with Ubuntu without the need
for anything extra or time wasting. *sigh* It makes me sad, like seeing
an animal stupidly repeatedly get it's self stuck in a hole.