[ubuntu-us-ma] Open Source friendly beginning computer skill's certifications. - Ubuntu Desktop

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Sep 10 20:24:47 BST 2010

Thanks Chris,

This does look promising but also says coming soon.

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/training/course-descriptions

Ubuntu Desktop - Coming soon

This course is based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and aims to train new users of
Ubuntu on how to use key applications including mainstream office
applications, Internet connectivity and browsing, graphic art tools,
multi-media and music.

After completing this course, you will be able to:

   - Understand the concepts of open source and how they tie in with Ubuntu
   - Customise the look and feel of the Ubuntu desktop
   - Navigate through the file system and search for files
   - Connect to and use the Internet
   - Perform basic word-processing and spreadsheet functions using
   OpenOffice.org

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:10 AM, Chris Butler <chrisbutler72 at gmail.com>wrote:

> The Ubuntu Certified Professional program has a few tiers to it. One of
> which is "Desktop".
> I would label it pretty basic but I've been at this a while and last I
> looked at it was two years ago.
>
> Your mileage may vary.
> -Chris
>

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Caroline,
>>
>> Certification is an interesting topic, most (if not all) certification
>> programs are for training systems administrators and programmers. Not
>> general users.
>>
>> At the same time there is no recognised authority for giving out
>> certifications. I don't know what the rules are in the USA, but anyone
>> can certify a foss program's use, they just need the materials and the
>> background. (and perhaps some legal stuff as I've never looked into it)
>>
>> As for existing programs, I don't now of any.
>>
>> Martin,
>>
>> On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 20:48 -0400, Caroline Meeks wrote:
>> > Hi Ubuntu MA!
>> >
>> > I'm working on setting up a family computing program in Somerville
>> > housing projects where families will get used computers and bootable
>> > USB sticks with Open1to1, Sugar and Ubuntu.
>> >
>> > One of the needs I am hearing is to get "certifications" that adults
>> > can put on their resumes to help them with job hunting.  Previously,
>> > they gave Microsoft Office classes and the student became Microsoft
>> > Office Certified and that helped 3 people get jobs.
>> >
>> > I think this may be less about whether or not Open Office can do what
>> > people need and more about having an official certificate that adult
>> > learners can earn and then put on their resume to signal to employers
>> > that they are computer literate.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know of any open source friendly training materials for
>> > adults that lead to certification and are suitable for beginning
>> > computer users?
>> >
>> > Thanks! Caroline
>> >
>> > PS I will definitely be talking more about the Somerville program as
>> > it becomes official, we are really hoping that people in the local
>> > Ubuntu community will help with this project and with computer
>> > classes.
>> >
>> > Thank you!!!
>>

>> --

Caroline Meeks