[ubuntu-us-ma] IP education

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu May 27 15:00:48 BST 2010

I played it for a while, I thought it was really funny. They start off
fairly sensible but then start repeating themselves.

But you can tell the odd culture the sign creators come from, not one
mention of fair dealing, nothing about public domain, no copyleft or
creative commons, nothing about patent pools or patent trolls. In fact
no good ideas ever came out of collaboration or standing on the
shoulders of those who came before you. This of course is why they never
mention why patents are tolerated at all: To publish detailed
explanations of how a discovery works into the public domain so others
can build on it.

You'd swear that they really do believe in their heart of hearts that
"Intellectual Property" was nothing but sunshine and light that causes
the growth of innovation simply through "protection of investment" and
could *never* be implicated in it's retardation.

It's cute and naive and that's what they're teaching people to be.

Martin,