[ubuntu-us-ma] Fwd: html5 WAR (has been won)

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.us
Wed May 19 20:54:06 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 14:05 -0400, Danny Piccirillo wrote:
> Google has opened up the VP8 coded as WebM!
> http://www.webmproject.org/
>
> Check out the FAQ: http://www.webmproject.org/about/faq/
>
> What does everyone think? Any criticisms?

See:  http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=377

Note that this was done by someone who might be presumed to be biased,
but still his comments regarding patents are, to me, the most
concerning.

In general I am confident that, without patents in the picture, the FOSS
folks would come up with a perfectly capable implementation (maybe it
wouldn't be the fastest but it would be quite good enough).

To me the most exciting, and unexpected, part of this whole thing is how
much backing Google already has for this.  The most valuable thing
Google can do, IMO, is force the patent situation surrounding codecs out
of the shadows and into the spotlight, and provide clarity around what
is FUD and what is not, and what can be done about "what is not".
That's the only way we'll ever have a solution that everyone will sign
up for.

Here we have not just Google supporting it (and saying it will be the
default format for all larger youtube videos!) but FireFox (not
surprisingly) and Opera (also not too surprising) and IE (!!) saying
they will support the new format.  There is also pledges of support from
hardware folks promising hardware acceleration.

That level of commitment is something that patent holders cannot ignore,
IMO, so... let's get it on!