[ubuntu-us-ma] Is Ubuntu-centricity holding us back?

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Wed May 5 03:20:24 BST 2010

This would be nice, but it's already kind of how we operate. The fact is, a
lot of people simply don't want to participate as much because it is under
the banner of one distro. I'm not kidding when i say i've seen a lot of
people who are interested in our work, but would rather base it on
principles rather than furthering one distro. I went to hampshire a week ago
and even ran into someone there who was surprised to find out i was who i
was, because they've been lurking on here but have yet to get involved. And
yeah, they also feel that out Ubuntu centricity is holding us back and
keeping many more advocates from joining us.

My concerns with being locked into Ubuntu and having the LoCo infrastructure
ingrained in our existence is growing as people are becoming more and more
concerned with the direction Ubuntu is taking (left-side topbars, Ubuntu
One, etc). That's not to say Ubuntu isn't still great an all, but we should
not just be here happy to do Canonical's work while we are stuck being an
Ubuntu LoCo rather than a greater software freedom group. We should not be
here, happy to promote Ubuntu, no matter what, as the community is ignored
on major decisions. And you might be thinking that you wouldn't be on this
team "no matter what", but the whole LoCo infrastructure is dependent on
what Canonical provides, and by sitting here and accepting it, the message
we're sending is that yes, we will just keep promoting Ubuntu, because we
are just an Ubuntu team. If we can find an infrastructure that does not
limit us to Ubuntu, but still allows us to promote it, and opens us up to
the many activists who have not yet gotten involved merely because of this,
why wouldn't we?

.danny

☮♥Ⓐ - http://www.google.com/profiles/danny.piccirillo
Every (in)decision matters.