[ubuntu-us-ma] The Free Software, Open Source promise: what FOSS means for non-coders

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 11 21:33:54 GMT 2010

> For me, the main challenge in explaining FOSS is that you also have to
> explain what software is, and how it is created.

This is exactly what i'm talking about

Most people just
> don't want that.  Someone can always just use FOSS, and then if they
> learn more about development, then they can learn more about software
> freedom.

FLOSS has two benefits: freedom, and better software. What i'm proposing is
a list of how FLOSS is better in both of these respects, with examples of
how proprietary software fudges up, and if this interests users, they could
read on to learn more about how it all works. Users who care about FLOSS for
one reason or another will stick with FLOSS. If they just use Firefox
because it's better than IE, they would have no incentive to use a FLOSS
product that is in all other respects equal to a proprietary one.

 On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Danny Piccirillo