[ubuntu-us-ma] SSD in regular laptop? or Accelerometer?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 12:47:50 GMT 2010

*now* I remember the question I wanted to ask last night ...

I am considering how to bump-proof a Thinkpad T60 laptop harddrive. Google
usually finds answers but ...

a) is there a simple way to enable the Thinkpad's accelerometer to park the
HD before impact? so far I have found 'it's hard' ...

b) is a modern large (60GB or 128GB) SSD usable as a straight replacement
for a PATA/IDE laptop drive, or do I need to prevent swap/hibernate and
remount multiple directories as tempfs , noatime, border, with erase
alignment, etc? web pages offer different opinions, debunking each other.

--
Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com