[ubuntu-us-ma] A new home for classes?

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Mon Aug 30 16:55:41 BST 2010

Hi Martin and Massachusetts Ubuntu folks!

I am in the process of making contact with people in Somerville.  Apparently
there is interest in computer skills for adults.  Ian and I are interested
in getting comptuers and bootable USB sticks to kids.

Thus in an ideal world we are giving refurbished computers to families
without computers, giving sticks to adults and children,  and teaching both
the adults and children to use their ubuntu sticks to do things that
interest them and enrich their lives and learning.  For adults maybe that is
using spreadsheets to support a microbusiness, for children maybe it is
programming in Scratch, maybe adults and children want to learn to use
inkscape and other art creation tools.  Ideally once we engage with a
community we ask them what they want to learn and do.

At this point, general support from the Ubuntu community is helpful as I
talk to people with computer labs, or space for us to put in a computer lab.

Thanks!
Caroline