[ubuntu-us-ma] No sound rom analog headphones in Asus 1015p

Dave Hunt ka1cey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 04:10:18 BST 2010

Hi!

I have 10.04 on this new Asus netbook, and most things work better than
on the older Asus.  I cannot, however, get sound out of the analog
headphones.  When I plug phones in, the speakers go silent, as they
should, but, phones are, as well.  Headphones are not listed as a device
on the 'hardware' tab in sound preferences.  Options are analog output
(speaker), and analog output.  When I choose the second option, all
sound goes silent.

What could I be missing?  Below is a cut from the result of 'sudo lshw',
referring to the audio device.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

         *-multimedia
              product: N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
              vendor: Intel Corporation
              physical id: 1b
              bus info: pci at 0000:00:1b.0
              version: 02
              width: 64 bits
              clock: 33MHz
              capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
              configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
              resources: irq:22 memory:f7cf8000-f7cfbfff