[ubuntu-us-ma] Is Ubuntu-centricity holding us back?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 07:07:26 BST 2010

Are you suggesting Ubuntu holds back the SETC team mission and SETC holds
back the mission to spread Ubuntu to the masses?

Or that you want to promote all FLOSS not just one brand?

Whenever I was at an installfest, I had by collection of old install disks
and recent magazine disks -- if someone had asked for Open Office for
Windows or Fedora, I'd have helped install it. It might not be on the menu,
but a good kitchen can serve whatever is ordered.  I can support Ubuntu best
by not telling someone to run it when it would be the wrong choice for them.

We already have in Greater Boston a no-limits Linux User Group, BLU.org,
Boston Linux Unix, that does any-distro installfests, and which is open to
even commercial Unix -- which explains why it is the only LUG older than
Linux. BLU will have a booth at LinuxCon this summer here in Boston.  It
could really use some younger members, so Danny and anyone else wishing to
be active outside of Ubuntu be welcome to join us there. Last week, we heard
about using a commercial product, Dragon Naturally Speaking, under WINE.
Upcoming:

   1. Wed, May 19, 2010 :: Open Source and Astaro's
Business<http://blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar/2010-may>
   2. Sat, May 22, 2010 :: Linux InstallFest
XXXVII<http://blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar/2010-ifest37>
   3. Wed, Jun 16, 2010 :: Secure Data Deletion Under
linux<http://blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar/2010-jun>
   4. Wed, Sep 15, 2010 :: PGP/GnuPG Keysigning Party XI, plus a talk by V.
   Alex Brennan. <http://blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar/2010-sep>

Boston is also galactic headquarters for EFF & Gnu.  They support all FLOSS
that is free enough by their standards. Good folks, different mission.

Having a connection however disfunctional to Canonical and the rest of
Ubu-core is what makes *this* Local-Community team unique among LUGs. We can
escalate questions through channels. If someone wants help with *buntu, they
should want tqgo through this team. This team should not walk away from
that.
   However, we might not want to be quite so Gnome/U-buntu centric.
Especially while the buttons are bollixed and Mono is being pushed, we
should consider pushing LUbuntu (Lxde) as the alternative for those that
shouldn't be on Kubuntu (KDE), especially since Xubuntu (XFCE) is no longer
usable on obsolete hardware.

--
Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com