[ubuntu-us-ma] Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 Upgrade script extremely inefficient (downloads from the internet, ignores local CD image)

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.us
Fri Oct 30 16:58:53 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 12:18 -0400, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> It can depend on what you're after. For instance, some things you miss
> out on if you just do in-place upgrades. Like in Karmic you won't get
> Grub2 automatically unless you do a fresh install. In Jaunty you
> wouldn't get ext4 partitions. On the other hand in-place upgrade is a
> great way to go if you've got a lot of customizations.

True, although you can get these with relatively little trouble if you
want--IMO far less trouble than realizing you left your VPN key file on
the root partition you just blew away and now you can't log into work
anymore, or similar.  When we all pledge allegiance to our new
filesystem overlord (Chris Mason) and switch to BTRFS things might get
more... interesting :-).

I do wish Ubuntu made a little more effort during initial install, and
provided a two-partition scheme as the default (/ and /home -- plus swap
obviously) rather than having the default "simple" install be one big
partition.  That would make things much simpler from an install point of
view.

I understand the issues around choosing relative sizes, etc. and how
that can be tricky, but IMO just washing our hands of the problem to the
detriment of the user is weak.  Besides, don't we have a better idea
than the casual user what the partition sizing SHOULD be?