[ubuntu-us-ma] Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 Upgrade script extremely inefficient (downloads from the internet, ignores local CD image)

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.us
Fri Oct 30 15:50:04 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 09:38 -0400, leftyfb wrote:
> Regardless, I highly suggest backing up /home and creating a list of
> installed packages 'sudo dpkg --get-selections >
> packagesinstalled.txt'
> and then installing 9.10 from scratch.

Sorry, but I can't agree.  I never upgrade from scratch.  I started with
Ubuntu 5.10 and I've done in-place upgrades to every single release
(except the last one: I bought a new system a week ago and installed
Karmic beta from scratch).  Before that I used Debian and always did
upgrades there, too.  This is both on my system at home AND my systems
at work.  It's always worked absolutely fine.

The single greatest thing about Ubuntu, and Debian before it, to me is
the stable package management, and upgrading in-place rather than fresh
installations is a critical part of that.  It's why I switched away from
Red Hat.

YMMV, but I highly suggest a normal upgrade, and NOT an install from
scratch.  This ain't Windows!  :-)

It would be nice if the Ubuntu servers worked out a way to be more
distributed (for example, maybe you could download a signed file
containing md5sums for all the packages in the distribution from an
official Ubuntu site but then get the actual packages themselves from a
set of mirrors, automatically, rather than having to edit your package
list.  Or, if the upgrade utility could mount an ISO image and upgrade
from that: then you could bittorrent the ISO and get at least all of the
major packages that way, and only need to download the extra
packages--actually you can probably do this today but it will require
some extra fu).