[ubuntu-us-ma] Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 Upgrade script extremely inefficient (downloads from the internet, ignores local CD image)

Daniel Hollocher danielhollocher at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 13:44:57 GMT 2009

I tried upgrading from the alternate cd, no downloads, and my install
refused to boot after.  Thankfully, the old kernel was still there,
and that booted so I was able to complete the upgrade.

I recommend switching to a local mirror, like Northeastern.  That
server has been blazing fast for me the whole time.

Dan

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Randy Cole <randyokc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Sorry about my confusing rant.
>
> 1) It only took about 1+ hour to download the CD via bittorrent. So the
> files are already downloaded.
>
> 2) I told "upgrade" *not* to use the network, just the CD. So the script
> is ignoring it's own flags.
>

> Next step is to file a bug report against the Ubuntu python scripts, I
> guess. I can never remember my launchpad credentials...
>
> -r
>

> Paul Smith wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 05:29 -0400, Randy Cole wrote:
>>
>>> It should finish downloading the packages in either 10 hours, or 2
>>> days, 1 hour.
>>>

>> I got a little lost in the description of all the things you tried.
>> However, the problem you're seeing with downloads is not at all that
>> there are so many packages it will take 1-2 days.
>>
>> The problem is that the Ubuntu servers are so absolutely slammed right
>> now that the download time is reeeeeaaalllllyyyyy sssslllloooooowwwww.
>>
>> Probably your better bet is just to wait a week or so.  Then it won't be
>> so bad.

In science and in mind, the impossible and the hasn't-happened-yet are
indistinguishable.