[ubuntu-us-ma] Installing Karmic Koala

Daniel Hollocher danielhollocher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 21:32:42 BST 2009

When ever I run into a major bug in the pre-releases, I have found
them listed in the release notes.  I have slowly learned to read them
_before_ I upgrade.

You can find them in the third column of the schedule:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule   Pay attention to the
Known Issues section

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 15:47 -0400, Brian Fallik wrote:
>> I upgraded two different computers last week from
>> Jaunty to Karmic.  Both completed the upgrade process fine and are
>> working perfectly now.
>
> Another data point: I bought a new computer (first one since 2004!) and
> I decided to take the plunge and install Karmic from the beta CD rather
> than installing Jaunty and upgrading later (I'm not averse to upgrading:
> my old system started with Hoary and was upgraded using the official
> update-manager method, never reinstalled, up until Hardy whereupon my
> video card was too old to support newer versions--but Ubuntu warned me
> about this!!  Yay!)
>
> I had no real issues; worked fine for me.
>
> There is currently some strange issue with PulseAudio conflicting with
> something else which is keeping my PA packages from upgrading.  My audio
> is working fine anyway but I'll work that out when I get a chance.
>
> Everything is working fine so far.
>
> There are a LOT of new packages to update every day, so be prepared for
> that if you jump to Karmic now.  You wouldn't want to do that if you pay
> significant amounts for bandwidth.

In science and in mind, the impossible and the hasn't-happened-yet are
indistinguishable.