[ubuntu-us-ma] Installing Karmic Koala

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.us
Tue Oct 20 20:56:31 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 15:47 -0400, Brian Fallik wrote:
> I upgraded two different computers last week from
> Jaunty to Karmic.  Both completed the upgrade process fine and are
> working perfectly now.

Another data point: I bought a new computer (first one since 2004!) and
I decided to take the plunge and install Karmic from the beta CD rather
than installing Jaunty and upgrading later (I'm not averse to upgrading:
my old system started with Hoary and was upgraded using the official
update-manager method, never reinstalled, up until Hardy whereupon my
video card was too old to support newer versions--but Ubuntu warned me
about this!!  Yay!)

I had no real issues; worked fine for me.

There is currently some strange issue with PulseAudio conflicting with
something else which is keeping my PA packages from upgrading.  My audio
is working fine anyway but I'll work that out when I get a chance.

Everything is working fine so far.

There are a LOT of new packages to update every day, so be prepared for
that if you jump to Karmic now.  You wouldn't want to do that if you pay
significant amounts for bandwidth.