[ubuntu-us-ma] Promoting Ubuntu: Battle Plans

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 02:47:10 BST 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 17:26 -0700, Michael Curran wrote:
> From: Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com>
>
> On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 15:00 -0700, Michael Curran wrote:
> >> If they can't be convinced to use them at home, they'll never use it on the job.  See Vista as the example.  It isn't a matter of saying versus doing, if you attack from the front, pushing new software on users that use Windows at home, you can't win.
>
> > What example?
>
> > I'm having a hard time understanding where your coming from, in no way
> > have you given me yet a good plan to execute.
>
> Microsoft dominates the business and government marketplace because it dominates the home marketplace.

No, Microsoft dominates because they hold a monopoly position. One that
should have been dealt with by the courts. See Bug #1.

> Vista was shunned by home users and was likewise shunned by businesses.

No, it was shunned by business because they had control over what was
deployed and they didn't like Vista for a bunch of technical reasons.
Home users didn't have a choice, if they wanted a new machine they had
to buy one with Vista. So great was the dislike that _some_ of these
people bought Apple Macs or refrained from buying a computer altogether.

> If you want to play in the business environment, the plan must be to promote a healthy crop of home users.

Nope, You have to provide a healthy brand with a healthy set of users
who know it and know that they can do their work in it. That's marketing
for the first part, but pure education and structure for the second.
Unless you have a couple of million dollars to pour into a marketing
campaign or at least the capability to get out there and give out flyers
(or phone the mayor and _ask_ him). I'll stick to the problem of
education because it's more productive and more likely to succeed.

> Look at the latest Win 7 promotion, MS is targeting the home users with their eyes set on convincing them to beg their IT guys to upgrade.  You want a battle plan?
>
> 1.  Find someone, anyone, that works in city hall or the state house that uses Ubuntu.

Not possible.

> 2.  Convince them to ask the IT department to let install Ubuntu on this work PC (even if only wubi).

Even more unlikely.

> 3.  Channel as much brainpower as we can muster to find ways to get all of this work related software working smoothly on Ubuntu.

Requires more than brain power, it requires production. Got money?

> 4.  Once we have a solution, create a ubuntu release that comes preconfigured to work this the system.

Requires lots more production, more than volunteers can produce without
leverage.

> 5.  Leverage the foothold to gain converts and work our why up the ladder.

That's not possible without PR.

> 6.  Pray that MS isn't paying attention.

They are.

I do not believe you've thought this problem through, I see many holes
and hand waving of serious resource problems. But I'd love to speak with
you all in person on Wednesday night or at our next meeting. Will you be
there?

Regards, Martin