[ubuntu-us-ma] Code Project Serving Suggestions...

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.us
Wed May 27 16:08:15 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 10:52 -0400, Doc Kinne wrote:

> Paul, my ex in NH mentioned Savannah and I looked at it. I wasn't
> going with that because while our project is AGPL 3.0 it will run, and
> is supposed to run, on both open and closed source platforms. Unless I
> read it wrong, Savannah seems to want free software that will run in
> free environments.

I guess that depends on exactly what you mean by "run on ... closed
source platforms".

Even real GNU software, stuff at savannah.gnu.org that is actually part
of the GNU system, runs on closed platforms like AIX, HPUX, and even,
much of it, on Windows.  There's no problem hosting free software that
supports running on closed systems; in fact the FSF tacks against the
wind, somewhat, by actively supporting ports to non-free operating
systems on the theory that increasing the total amount of free software
is good, so if you can get someone to use free software on a non-free
platform that's better than having them use non-free software on a
non-free platform.  Others take the, IMO equally legitimate, position
that creating free software for non-free platforms simply makes the
non-free platforms more palatable and hence they are less likely to
migrate to a completely free system.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there :-).

What's important for savannah.nongnu.org is that the software itself is
free.

Cheers!