[ubuntu-us-ma] A Free (Senpaga) Software License

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Fri May 22 18:23:13 BST 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Doc Kinne <kinnerc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can see that philosophically. By invoking a noncommercial clause we are
> taking away the freedom to "sell" the software.

No, it's not at all that simple.  That was the whole point.  The very concept
of "noncommercial" is imprecise, ambiguous, and a legal quagmire.  There's
really no predicting what a judge will decide constitutes "commercial" use if
someone decides to sue.

Slapping a "noncommercial" restriction on a license essentially adds a layer
of FUD and has a chilling effect on serious community developer participation.

AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.blu.org / YAHOO abreauj / SKYPE zusa_it_mgr
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9