[ubuntu-us-ma] A Free (Senpaga) Software License

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri May 22 15:19:17 BST 2009

Hey Doc,

> While I can understand that from a philosophical perspective, is there a
> software license in existence that prohibits you from selling the
> software for profit?

Yes, there are licenses that are similar to free software licenses by
with none-commercial clauses. But it's no longer Free Software when you
use them. None Commercial clauses (even with Creative Commons) are very
tricky things.

For instance, the Ubuntu desktop training manual produced by Canonical
is CC-BY-NC, this means that if our group was to set up classes where we
charged $20 per class (to encourage people to stick at the class) we
would no longer be able to use the material, even if we donated or
burned all the money.

Your also going to have a bastard of a time with derivative works too,
for instance if I was to take some of your CC-BY-NC-SA work and created
something new from it, you would be unable to sell it or use it in your
business because your company is a commercial entity. You've effectively
cut yourself off from derivative works.

Unless your absolutely sure that you need to commercially exploit this
code (and not services around it) I _highly_ recommend using a normal
Free Software license. No good can come of software with NC clauses.

http://doctormo.deviantart.com/art/Guide-to-Creative-Commons-121927549