[ubuntu-us-ma] should i upgrade to jaunty?

kevin dreimiller kevin_dreimiller at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 19:46:41 BST 2009

lots of good info!  thanks!

but i think im going to buy an external in the next couple of days.

so now it becomes - how do i properly partition that?

a back up partition?  another for playing with jaunty?  which i would assume i would do properly - with /, swap, ext3, and this time a /home partition.

and do i partition it in two parts in gparted?  so i make two large partitions first, then when i put a jaunty install on it, jaunty will use the 2nd partition i created with gparted and make the correct partitions within that?

kevin

Daniel Hollocher <danielhollocher at gmail.com> wrote: > where can i find your updated tutorial?

I posted it on the community help docs here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving

The problem with that guide for you, is that it's designed for carving
out a new partition, and making that your new home for /home.  That is
a problem because you only need about 6g for root, so if you followed
the spirit of that guide, you would shrink your 250g partition to 10g,
or as small as possible, then create a new /home partition with the
rest of the free space.  That would/could take FOREVER (as in several
hours at least).

That's why in your case, I think you should change the location of
your root, and keep /home on the existing partition. I like to go the
safe route, if I can.  My earlier suggestion of carving out 2 8g
partitions at the end of your drive as a test setup was a step in the
direction of moving your root to a new location.  Its a safe step
since you should be able to get the test setup going without really
changing anything with your current setup, and it gets you familiar
with the needed commands.

Once you are ready to make the switch, then you will already know the
commands to do it, and you will already have the partitions needed.
You would just reinstall to an 8g partition, but instead of using the
other 8g partition as /home, I think you can just use your old root as
/home.  Then, use mv to move the old root/home to the root on that
partition, and you are done!  Well, you would probably then clear out
some of the old files in that old root.

But...  what should you really do?  James' suggestion may be the best.
 Get a backup drive, backup.  Then just do anything