[ubuntu-us-ma] should i upgrade to jaunty?

Randy Cole randyokc at gmail.com
Thu May 21 09:13:01 BST 2009

Kevin,

I want to warn you about a problem I had upgrading to 9.04 Jaunty
Jackalope.  I don't know if the 3100 is affected.

I have an integrated Radeon HD 3200 (HP Pavilion dv4-1222nr).  Video
failed when I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04.  The problem was the
proprietary non-free driver provided by ubuntu, (fglrx).  If the
standard free drivers work, I recommend that you switch to that one
before you upgrade, then download the proprietary driver directly from
AMD/ATI.  From what I read, the proprietary driver from ATI is better
than what Ubuntu provides as the "proprietary non-free driver".

Or, go ahead with the upgrade, and if you have trouble, boot to "single"
(recovery mode), either "apt-get remove fglrx", then reboot again to
recovery mode & reset video.  Or edit xorg.conf

--Randy