[ubuntu-us-ma] New Kid in the Family!

Doc Kinne kinnerc at gmail.com
Tue May 12 03:25:13 BST 2009

Daniel:

On 11 May , 2009, at 16:33, Daniel Hollocher wrote:
> Hey cool, I've got myself an eee 1000HE too.

Nice.  :-)

> I'm replying because I'm curious what the best flavor of Ubuntu to use
> is.  I tried Intrepid Eeebuntu, and did not like it.  The hardware
> worked, but there were quirky configuration things going on.  I just
> wanted added support, but it seems like those guys were trying to
> customize it further.   I haven't used it a whole lot, so I can't say
> I tested it that much.

Well, I'm in largely the same boat. I researched things well, but I've
not had time to use it all that much. However, what I have used has
worked exactly as advertised.

What you need to realize, Daniel, was that four years ago I had a
HORRIBLE experience getting a supported Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card to
work with a Dell Inspiron 7000. That experience terrified me away from
getting an actual Linux laptop. So, having things *WORK* was my
absolute first, bar none, priority. Second was the GUI. To be honest,
I do not like the Netbook Remix GUI so I went with a standard Eeebuntu
install.

The Eeebuntu project seems like its quiet active with their 3.0
version based on Jaunty coming out within the next two weeks. We'll
see where it goes from there!

---
Richard "Doc" Kinne • Rikardo «Dokĉjo» KINNE, BA, MSc., AMAAS
<kinnerc @ gmail.com>
"I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe.
Look me up!"
- The Doctor
"Forests of the Dead," Doctor Who