[ubuntu-us-ma] wish

Doc Kinne kinnerc at gmail.com
Sat May 9 04:42:57 BST 2009

Aaron (et. al.):

On 08 May , 2009, at 22:14, Aaron Haviland wrote:

> Peter Costanza wrote, on May 08, 2009 at 13:56 EDT:
>> What would be really really really really nice would be a place,
>> like a
>> storefront, or an office in an office somewhere in Cambridge, with
>> Hours,
>> where a person could bring their laptop and say, "can you help me,"
>> or "can
>> you tell me," how to install this Lotus Notes client, or GroupWise
>> client,
>> or whatever, on Ubuntu / wine or whatever. Or, what program should
>> I use for
>> simple photo editing in Ubuntu, or, how do I get my laptop screen
>> to work
>>
>> If there were such a place, you could build the community one user
>> at a
>> time, but they would have to be able to count on the help. The
>> average
>> person out there is still far from willing or able to pick through
>> the
>> not-inconsiderable online resources that may contain the answers to
>> such
>> questions as those posed above.
>
> Doesn't our role at the SETC work towards that purpose?

You beat me to it! I was going to say that exactly.

Peter's suggestion, while good, has the challenge of finding a place
and staffing it. I don't think we're in any sort of position to staff
anything with extensive hours.  The next best thing is the thing we
have at the SETC where, at a specific, regular, time and place anyone
can come in and get exactly the help that Peter was describing. This
is very much what my Ex and crew did in Ithaca for a number of years.
It worked out well, especially for the kids.
---
Richard "Doc" Kinne • Rikardo «Dokĉjo» KINNE, BA, MSc., AMAAS
<kinnerc @ gmail.com>
"I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe.
Look me up!"
- The Doctor
"Forests of the Dead," Doctor Who