[ubuntu-us-ma] "Video Killed the Radio Star..."

Doc Kinne kinnerc at gmail.com
Thu May 7 03:24:07 BST 2009

Michael (et. al.):

On 06 May , 2009, at 15:15, Michael Terry wrote:

> 2009/5/6 Doc Kinne <kinnerc at gmail.com>:
>> Unless anyone else comes up with some particular ideas I'm first
>> going to
>> see if I can install 8.04 on it. If that doesn't work, I'll
>> reinstall Fedora
>> 10 on it and see what kind of data I can get from that installation
>> before
>> trying Ubuntu again.
>
> Is https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Debugging useful?  In particular, the
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Resolution section.  It has
> a hint for how to turn off DDC and EDID probing, which may help.

I very much appreciate it, but no go.

I edited the BEJEEBUS out of xorg.conf. I have transcribed it below as
it existed at this point. Not all of this was in place at one time. I
simply commented out various things as I tried other things. NOTHING I
did changed the monitor behavior at all.

By the way, the odd "mode names" came about when the log didn't seem
to recognize modes named "1024x768" etc.

I was able to figure out my driver, and the maximum resolution of the
monitor. Didn't help.

I took the splash screen out of the boot loader. Nothing.

I took "quiet" out of the boot sequence so I could see things.
Nada.  :-(

I'm going to install 8.04 now to see if that works. If so, note the
xorg.conf and see if it will correctly upgrade.

If THAT doesn't work, I'll install Fedora 10 again and look at that
xorg.conf

This is the first time a distribution has failed me on a desktop
machine in a long time. I'm used to them failing on laptops, but not
desktops. :-(

=====================================

Section "Device"
	Identifier		"Configured Video Device"
#	Driver		"mga"
	Driver		"vesa"
#	Option		"UseFBDev"		"True"
#	Option		"NoDDC"		"True"
#	Option		"IgnoreEDID"	"True"
EndSection

Section	"Monitor"
	Identifier		"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier		"Primary Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
#	Subsection	"Display
#		Depth 8
#		Modes	"1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
#	EndSubSection
	Subsection "Display"
		Depth	16
		Modes	"119" "117" "114"
	EndSubsection
	Subsection "Display"
#		Depth 24
		Depth 32
#		Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
		Modes "118" "115"
	EndSubsection
EndSection

---
Richard "Doc" Kinne • Rikardo «Dokĉjo» KINNE, BA, MSc., AMAAS
<kinnerc @ gmail.com>
"I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe.
Look me up!"
- The Doctor
"Forests of the Dead," Doctor Who