[ubuntu-us-ma] Timothy Smith Network Meeting

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 18:15:01 GMT 2009

Hey guys,

I've just got back from a particularly engaging meeting with a network
of community centers here in Boston. The Timothy Smith Network is a
group to help community centers with technology education.

So firstly, the bad news. Microsoft has quite a few things going on
already:

      * Free Microsoft software, Windows, Office for these centers.
      * Free Online training in Microsoft technologies.
      * Funding and grants to Community Centers directly.

But despite the entrenched Microsoft use and the Microsoft philanthropy,
there was a great deal of interest in Free and Open Source Software and
in Ubuntu. So there is things we can do to benefit these centers and
what these centers lack is a few things:

     1. Information on what FOSS is, what it means and how to teach it.
     2. People who are skilled in the tools who can donate their time to
        teach the public.
     3. Access to the software, downloads, cds, does it work on windows,
        mac etc?
     4. Admin skills, a place where people can go to find out how to run
        centers on Linux and with other Free Software

We'll be talking at next weeks meeting about how we can help out and
what we can do to improve the use of FOSS in these places.

Regards, Martin Owens