[ubuntu-us-ma] an opportunity in Maine

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 26 17:05:06 BST 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Martin Owens<doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Walter,
>
> Have you posted this to the Ubuntu motu or Ubuntu Developers Mailing
> Lists? These are the folks with the right skills to repackage a newer
> version of Sugar.

Although resources are kinda low right now, I would also make sure to
talk to Edubuntu.

> Although I'll leave it open, we do have a few packers on this list too.
>
> Regards, Martin
>
> On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 08:23 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
>> I have been quite on the list for a while, busy getting some programs
>> in place. I have two pilot programs at Boston Public Schools this
>> summer--if any one interested in getting involved, please get in
>> touch.

Cool, are they going to be Sugar deployments?

>> But the real opportunity is that there is a movement afoot in Maine to
>> get netbooks into the hands of elementary-school children as part of
>> the refresh of the Maine 1-to-1 laptop initiative. They are hoping to
>> use Ubuntu and Sugar. But the Ubuntu packaging of Sugar is woefully
>> out of date. Is there anyone on the list who would be willing to work
>> with them on this?

Ubuntu was more-or-less waiting for Debian to make a move. Jaunty
comes with 0.83 which is not ideal but I think we unfortunately got
caught in all the OLPC/Sugar Labs changes as all of a sudden the
Ubuntu Sugar Team seemed to disappear. Since Jaunty was released
though Debian has packaged 0.84 as separate packages. Ubuntu Karmic
now has the following source packages:

sugar-0.84
sugar-artwork-0.84
sugar-base-0.84
sugar-datastore-0.84
sugar-presence-service-0.84
sugar-toolkit-0.84

Additionally, Ubuntu has 10 extra Sugar activities that Debian doesn't
have. I don't know what shape they're in though. So I guess the
question would be if Sugar 0.84 is a new enough version. If so, the
packages can be backported to Jaunty either by a PPA (I think Edubuntu
might be interested in that) or a private/local repo.

-Jordan (aka LaserJock)