[ubuntu-us-ma] Interesting concern about open-sourcing a website

Brian DeLacey bdelacey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:56:24 BST 2009

A lot depends on how they ultimately license their software/project and what
they want to (personally / professionally) get out of their efforts.

Depending on how they license it, a third party might indeed be able to take
the code and just use it for their own benefit or they might not. The issues
involved in choosing between licenses can be challenging and complicated.
It's certainly a significant decision (e.g. as with GPL2 vs GPL3 and
Linux<http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-146510.html>)
in the life of any project - website or otherwise.

Since the code creator presumably knows the code best, they might offer
fee-based software services to people who adopt it and have the license
encapsulate that plan. On the other hand, if companies use their code and
just obliterate the original work that's probably not so good ...

By going open source they may be making a contribution to others, while also
potentially scaling their own project efforts to pick up improvements/ideas
from other people.

Brian