[ubuntu-us-ma] Ubunchu Prints for Anime Boston 2010

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 22 02:22:41 BST 2009

I just got this comment on my
post<http://pinstack.blogspot.com/2009/06/anime-boston-2009-recap.html>:
"I can't believe you made kopibon for an American convention! That's not
just awesome, that's MEGAS AWESOME! You should have sold them for $1 to make
the feeling of skunkworks
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunkworks_project>complete." (i added
the link)kopibon=copybon(+ k for
kopimi <http://www.kopimi.com/kopimi/>, or the face that japanese just uses the
letter k and not c for the "ka" sound)
copy-bon literally means "book-copy" in japanese

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:44, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Also, would we want to consider paying for a copy of the Ubunchu manga to
> be
> > distributed in the Anime Boston registration bags? It would be expensive,
>
> If we want to do a really big print run, should get best
> long-lead-time volume pricing, and allow other LoCo's to buy in to
> leverage the volume. Might be able to get actual comics paper stock on
> long lead offset web-press job instead of expensive sheet fed
> laser/xero 'print' run, might save enough to get gloss cover for less
> than kinkos quik.

I don't know what long-lead-time means-- just buying way ahead of time? I'm
not sure how other LoCo's could buy in since this is a boston event, so it
makes sense for us to only display our name. Then again, dedicated otaku's
will come from all over the country, and even world, to come to this event.
Also, it's not just the printing that will cost a lot, we also have to pay
for them to distribute these in their registration
bags<http://www.animeboston.com/about/dealers_faq/#10>
.

> i'm sure, but we have a year to raise money and it will certainly reach a
> > hung audience.
>
> I've heard about those panels...

I meant huge >,<

> There's also the option of getting a booth. It'd probably be
> > good to have more anime-related ubuntu stuff if we do that though.
>
> Nice conferences donate booth space to non-profits to improve the tone
> of the event (or make it look fuller). Booth rental at commercial
> rates is sensible only if we had a Sponsor underwriting that expense.
> Maybe one or more of the System76 & competitors would (co)sponsor
> outreach events to get THEIR message out to folks.

How would that work if we're not a registered non-profit? I was actually
thinking of a table in the Artists'
alley<http://www.animeboston.com/events/artists_alley/>to sell copies
of Ubunchu + CD's, but we could also get a booth in the Dealer's
Room <http://www.animeboston.com/about/dealers_faq/#3> where we can sell
anything.

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:54, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 20:44 -0400, Bill Ricker wrote:

> > Also, would we want to consider paying for a copy of the Ubunchu manga
> to be

> > distributed in the Anime Boston registration bags? It would be
> expensive,

> Perhaps but I'm not sure about the CC-BY-NC license, if it allows such a

thing. It's a difficult problem.

The only thing NC prevents is selling the content or profiting
*directly*from it. For example, selling downloads of CC-BY-NC is not
allowed, but
hosting in to be downloaded for free on an ad-supported for-profit website
is fine.

Ubuntu-us-ma at lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

http://www.google.com/profiles/danny.piccirillo