[ubuntu-us-ma] Conference List

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 18 08:55:12 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Martin Owens<doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 23:09 -0700, Jordan Mantha wrote:
>> I don't think it's preaching to the choir much at all. If everybody
>> was using Ubuntu it would be, but lots (most) of the people aren't at
>> general software conferences. My understanding was that Ubuntu LoCos
>> were primarily for *Ubuntu* advocacy in particular, which definitely
>> needs to be done at FOSS and computer events and are fairly naturally
>> related to the common binding purpose of an Ubuntu LoCo ... Ubuntu.
>
> Unfortunately I strongly disagree, computer related events and
> especially FOSS events are incredibly limiting and energy spent on them
> is energy that could be better spent on the much wider scope of general
> populace. Local Community groups such as this are to bring FOSS to
> "Human Beings" in the best way possible, right now that's Ubuntu. We're
> not going to push Ubuntu just because it's Ubuntu, we're pushing Ubuntu
> because it will actually help people. It will not help Fedora or Gentoo
> users quite so much as Windows users or those without computers.

I suppose we all have different views of the purpose of LoCos. I
personally don't feel like advocacy targeted towards end users is all
the important. I'd generally say advocacy towards software developers,
OEMs, and ISVs is vastly more important. It seems like users will
pretty much find the best product if it's really the best product. A
LoCo can help by making Ubuntu the best product. I'm not trying to put
down advocacy per se, it's just my personal view the a lot of end-user
advocacy can be a waste of resources.

>> I just wondered what the wiki page's purpose exactly was.
>> Are these "Special Events" that are listed ones that the LoCo
>> officially plans to attend?
>
> These aren't special events, these are bread and butter events, places
> where we _should_ be going in order to advocate and educate. Pi-Con last
> year was successful and the reaction was very positive. The number of
> people we get using Ubuntu at the SETC who have never known a single
> computer geek before impresses me.

Fair enough. I wonder how long it will last but hopefully the success
will continue.

>> Not always no, IMO.  The father away from "our inner circle" the less
>> relation we have and the harder the "sell".
>
> You only get disillusionment when you sell something that isn't there.
> When you lie because you have run out of rationale. My experience doing
> advocacy for this LoCo has been that people properly informed who make
> up their own minds, they get Ubuntu installed and we only rarely hear
> back from them.

I think you can also get disillusionment when an "advocate" doesn't
properly address the needs of the potential  user or inadvertently
"sugar coats" the product. I've also seen a lot of initial enthusiasm
by people fade when corner-case issues crop up that Ubuntu is not able
to deal with. Of course, I'm not saying that all advocacy is that way,
I'm just not a huge fan. I'd rather see resources going into making
Ubuntu a better product in the first place. No biggie, to each his
own.

> You should come down to some of our events, I could show you some of the
> second class computer citizens who should be our priority to inform and
> educate.
>
> Your also welcome to add items to the Agenda for the meeting, this seems
> like a very in depth discussion that we should hold face to face.

I'll be moving to the Boston area (I recently got a job at Hanscom
AFB) in a few weeks and look forward to hooking up with the LoCo.

-Jordan