[ubuntu-us-ma] Conference List

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 07:47:31 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 23:09 -0700, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> I don't think it's preaching to the choir much at all. If everybody
> was using Ubuntu it would be, but lots (most) of the people aren't at
> general software conferences. My understanding was that Ubuntu LoCos
> were primarily for *Ubuntu* advocacy in particular, which definitely
> needs to be done at FOSS and computer events and are fairly naturally
> related to the common binding purpose of an Ubuntu LoCo ... Ubuntu.

Unfortunately I strongly disagree, computer related events and
especially FOSS events are incredibly limiting and energy spent on them
is energy that could be better spent on the much wider scope of general
populace. Local Community groups such as this are to bring FOSS to
"Human Beings" in the best way possible, right now that's Ubuntu. We're
not going to push Ubuntu just because it's Ubuntu, we're pushing Ubuntu
because it will actually help people. It will not help Fedora or Gentoo
users quite so much as Windows users or those without computers.

> I just wondered what the wiki page's purpose exactly was.
> Are these "Special Events" that are listed ones that the LoCo
> officially plans to attend?

These aren't special events, these are bread and butter events, places
where we _should_ be going in order to advocate and educate. Pi-Con last
year was successful and the reaction was very positive. The number of
people we get using Ubuntu at the SETC who have never known a single
computer geek before impresses me.

> Not always no, IMO.  The father away from "our inner circle" the less
> relation we have and the harder the "sell".

You only get disillusionment when you sell something that isn't there.
When you lie because you have run out of rationale. My experience doing
advocacy for this LoCo has been that people properly informed who make
up their own minds, they get Ubuntu installed and we only rarely hear
back from them.

You should come down to some of our events, I could show you some of the
second class computer citizens who should be our priority to inform and
educate.

Your also welcome to add items to the Agenda for the meeting, this seems
like a very in depth discussion that we should hold face to face.