[ubuntu-us-ma] Conference List

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 05:52:23 BST 2009

Hey Jordan,

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 21:34 -0700, Jordan Mantha wrote:

> Why math/anime/sci-fi conventions? The connection to Ubuntu isn't
> obvious to me so I'm curious why they'd be listed in a LoCo event
> guide? I could see doing FLOSS conferences or at least software
> conventions, and maybe math at a stretch, but anime and sci-fi seem
> pretty out-of-scope to me.

This is why I write pre-emptive blog posts :-D Read this first:

http://doctormo.wordpress.com/2009/07/16/loco-advocacy-events/

Basically when we go to FOSS or computer events, we're there to network
and be friendly with our peers in our _own_ community. Which is great,
but it isn't advocacy or education, it's preaching to the choir. Easy
and pointless for our primary objectives (but good secondary
objectives).

Getting involved with other communities from the Sci-Fi and Anime
communities to the community center underprivileged communities, are all
ways to get outsiders aware that Ubuntu exists, that it's an awesome
choice and that we're here to help people and help. We also attract
people with different skills, backgrounds and world views into our
advocacy group, I'd like more communicators and creatives in our
community, not just logical scientists.

Don't we want more people using Ubuntu? Should those people be as far
away from our inner circle as possible?