[ubuntu-us-ma] Who's experienced with offering Ubuntu conversions?

Drascus enchantedvisionsband at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 8 12:56:37 BST 2009

Yeah I agree the beforehand consultation is very important make sure
that they can be up and running with all the same capabilities. I
usually use an install script to get all the codecs and such installed
and commonly used programs that don't come with ubuntu out of box.
perfect buntu is a good example that installs some useful things:
http://www.category5.tv/content/blogcategory/15/77/
Also I always make sure that I spend time with new people showing them
the basics of their system. I usually give them a resource sheet of
websites, books, and IRC channels where they can get more information
and tutorials. I also show them how they can go about getting tech
support for ubuntu and of course I make sure they have my card. I
usually hang out for a bit while they get the hang of their system. I
usually find in the first 15 mins or so is where all the questions come
up.

this is just me. but I always do mention free software and open source
and why they are important. I let them know about freedom and the
community. I have a flyer that I give out that explains free Software
and I mention fsf.org and gnu.org. I feel that is an important part of
it too. But I realize not everyone would agree. Some people are excited
by it some people are indifferent. But I feel that if we don't explain
this stuff people won't know why this software is truly important. I
feel as though they will just go and install a bunch of proprietary
software on top of Ubuntu without even batting an eye and it will be
only a matter of time before we are the same as what we are against. OK
end of rant lol.

Mike C.