[ubuntu-us-ma] Need help with Ubuntu

Mick Timony mick.timony+ubuntuforums at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:30:34 BST 2009

Is this the Software in question?
http://genepath.med.harvard.edu/~reich/Software.htm

I can download it compile it later this week. But you'll have to provide
instructions on how I can test it, or duplicate the problems your users are
having.

Mick Timony

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Theresa Hepburn <
thepburn at broadinstitute.org> wrote:

> Hi Samuela,
>
> I certainly wouldn't call myself an Ubuntu expert, I just like the OS
> and the open source philosophy. I'm cc-ing the Ubuntu LoCo team for
> the MA area. There are many more experienced Ubuntu users who watch
> this list and I expect one of them will be more than happy to help.
>

> Theresa Hepburn
> Bioinformatics Assembly Analyst
> The Broad Institute
> 320 Charles St 2250L
> Cambridge, MA 02141
> 617.714.8523
>

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Samuela
> Pollack<SPOLLACK at hsph.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > Hi Theresa Hepburn,
> >
> > I just read in your profile the Broad webpage that you are an Ubuntu
> > aficionada, and I'm wondering if you can help me.
> >
> > I'm a Broad associate staff member; I really work for Professor Price at
> > HSPH in Longwood.  I maintain a some software for him and Nick Patterson
> > (Nick is a Broad fellow, up on the fifth floor or so.)  I have
> been getting
> > email from users that say their software (Eigensoft) crashes when it's
> run
> > under Ubuntu.  So I've been posting "help me" messages in Ubuntu places,
> > trying to find somebody who will help me figure out where our code
> crashes
> > and why.
> >
> > Can you help us, please?  Basically, we'd need an Ubuntu user to download
> > our code, install the LAPACK linear algebra library and build.  Then we'd
> > need to either run the debugger or put printf statements into the source
> > figure where it crashes.  Do you know lots of friendly Ubuntu users in
> > Boston area?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > - Samuela Pollack

Mick Timony
---
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. --
S. Beckett
---