skype alternative

Daniel Hollocher danielhollocher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 18:46:08 GMT 2009

Hey all,
I've been looking at some skype alternative possibilities.  Here are two
that I found interesting:
http://www.dimdim.com/products/what_is_dimdim.html
http://www.voiceandvideochat.com/

Neither of these are VOIP soft phones like skype is, but they have similar
capabilities.  Dimdim is opensource, but only supports a single webcam.  VVC
seems to support linux (its flash based), and supports multiple webcams, but
its not opensource.

I haven't tested these services with other people yet, so if there is
interest, we could set up a time to test them out.

So far, for a two person voip call, skype is still the best that I have
seen.  I tried ekiga and qutephone, and couldn't get either to work.

Dan

--
In science and in mind, the impossible and the hasn't-happened-yet are
indistinguishable.