Classes Poster

Michael Terry mike at mterry.name
Wed Jan 28 22:02:44 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason I've posted it for peer review, is because I'm dyslexic and I
> figured people would be able to pick problems out. But the way you've
> said the copy is so bad to be unprofessional, makes me feel very bad.
> Why did you have to say it like that?

I think it's very good.  I have some specific suggestions:

How about saying "more unstable the longer you use it" rather than
"more unstable the more you use it"?  Just to avoid saying 'more' an
extra time.

The capitalization of "Free Software: Ubuntu Linux" struck me as odd.
I know what you're going for, that free software is a Thing greater
than just Ubuntu Linux, but it makes the whole phrase look like a
single proper noun "Free Software: Ubuntu Linux".  I'm not sure what
the fix is.  Maybe just make Free Software uncapitalized?  Or just
uncapitalize Software to keep the Free emphasis.  Or "may be found in
Free software, such as Ubuntu Linux."

The use of the word Free to mean "software libre" rather than
"software for free" may be lost on the audience, nonetheless.  Using
"open source", while less accurate, may resonate more.  I feel the FSF
lost that battle.

But it's very good; thanks Martin.

-mt