update from Girl Seeking Geek

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:13:40 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 09:33 -0800, felicia wichrowski wrote:
> Greetings everyone!
> I headed off on my 108 mile trek to see Martin in Boston and it was
> outstanding!
> I will tell you he's one brilliant guy and sweet as pie.  Some
> highlights...

Hi Felicia, it was good working with you.

> My Lexmark printer is not recognized...that's OK for now until Lexmark
> realizes life is just not Mac or PC?  and my Samsung prints very dark
> from Ubunbtu so that needs further investigation.  I think I have to
> find some one to write a color profile for me.

There are no controls for luminosity and the colour profiles are just
messed up. We tried an icc profile for this model but it went even
worse.

> The tech just left my house (Friday) having installed the new keyboard
> and touch pad.
> Still can't control pointer with touch pad, just as bad as before.
> works with mouse but I want my laptop to function with the touchpad.
> as well.  I think that with close to 2 grand I spent on this system I
> should receive that function.  Well the tech's job was done, as far as
> he was concerned the keyboard was fine.  And it may well be.  He
> suggested I call for a copy of Vista to test it out, and that is was
> the fault of the guy who wrote the Ubuntu system.  That's why my touch
> pad dosen't work and I have a Virus.   So anyways...  that "Caret
> Browsing" box just keeps mulitplying....can't get rid of it, cant get
> to the net or do anything.   I still have my old windows Lattitude but
> the lease is up and it has to go back.  I'm in a kinda bad spot I
> guess.

The browser carret thing is because the mouse is producing an F7 signal.
The track pad is just messed up, possibly due to the wrong drivers.
Although why Dell would sell an ubuntu laptop with proprietary trackpad
controllers is anyone's guess.

The Dell guys are still new to this, they're going to see everything as
a reason to dump ubuntu. that's why an entrenched position is so easy to
defend. Every idiot out there lines up to defend your position based on
the idea that if it's normal and everyone uses it, it must be ok.

Regards, Martin