Error message with Ubuntu 8.10

Ralph deGennaro rmdegennaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 22:45:19 GMT 2009

Hi Aaron,

I also use a MacBook Pro.  If one boots directly to Ubuntu (not using VMWare
Fusion) with the likes of bootcamp or rEFIt, you can use the proprietary
drivers to get 3D capabilities.  But like Mike says, VMWare Fusion does not
support 3D graphics in their virtual machines.  I haven't had the
oppurtunity to try the new version of Virtual Box.

Here are a few links I found helpful to install Ubuntu directly:

   - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro
   - http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp
   - http://fearandloath.us/vmware-fusion-bootcamp-partition.html

The last link might not be relevant anymore, and only if you triple boot
your MacBook (Pro).  It worked with VMWare Fusion 1.1.  But was weird after
the update to VMWare Fusion 2.0.  So I deleted the settings folder that
pointed to the local disk and haven't had the time to recreate it.

Oh, also do not try Ubuntu 64-Bit.  There is a kernel issue that throws the
root filesystem into read-only mode.  I haven't had the chance to figure out
more details.  But once I installed Ubuntu 32-Bit I had no issues (at least
since Jan 01).

Email the list again if you have any other questions.

Best,
Rio