[ubuntu-us-ma] Video Conference of Meeting

Algot Runeman algot.runeman at verizon.net
Mon Feb 16 21:40:01 GMT 2009

At the January meeting, there was discussion of using a video conference
system to make the meetings more interactive for the remote participants.
Skype was mentioned, but not with much excitement.

While checking the Open Source Schools mention of an upcoming meeting in
London, I read that there was going to be "Flashmeeting" access for
those who could not attend.

The base requirements for use appear to be Flash Player plugin for your
browser, video camera(s), a microphone (recommended over using the one
built into the video camera. If you check the recorded FM session
mentioned at the end of this email, you can hear what sounds like the
problem of using a computer-based mike.

Flashmeeting (maybe it has been renamed just FM) sounds promising, but
may not be as easy to deploy as we might like.

It is currently a research project in the UK, and there are several open
access servers for people registered in one of several UK-based
education projects. The team might need to join somehow to get an
account on one of the servers.

The Flashmeeting site is: http://flashmeeting.open.ac.uk/home.html

The most promising point of access may be the OpenUniversity
http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?name=FM

Here's one blog post about FM.
http://flosse.dicole.org/?item=flashmeeting-the-youtube-of-videoconferencing

You might be able to better see and judge the tool by looking at this
recording of a session using FM.
http://fm.ea-tel.eu/fm/fmmp.php?pwd=13e7e0-12360
Watching the moving line at the bottom indicates when each participant
is "taking over". The originator is the leader of the discussion and has
the tools to select who will next speak.

I don't know if MIT might have a contact somewhere to get access to the
software so we might not need access to the connections across the
"pond" to the servers in the UK.

--Algot

--
Algot Runeman