[ubuntu-us-ma] How to tell version numbers?

Daniel Hollocher danielhollocher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 19:44:12 GMT 2009

1) I've no idea
2) apt-cache policy package_name  will show you the version of a package
installed.  Maybe you want to look at the changelog of the package that
holds your drivers?
3) yes, approximately.  But, sometimes there are errors with dependencies.
I think ideally, its yes.

Dan

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Brian DeLacey <bdelacey at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the best way to track and view version numbers of the Ubuntu
> releases installed on your machine? In particular, I'm wondering:
>

>    - how to display release numbers that will differentiate between daily
>    Jaunty builds?
>    - how to display the version of subsystems / tarballs in the distro?
>    (I'm particularly interested in wireless drivers, e.g. compat-wireless-2.6
>    tarball<http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download#Archiveofcompat-wireless-2.6tarballs>
>    )?
>    - does running update manager on an installed Jaunty build has
>    (aproximately) the same result as installing the new daily Jaunty build
>    available that day?
>

> Thanks for any suggestions,
>    Brian

In science and in mind, the impossible and the hasn't-happened-yet are
indistinguishable.