[ubuntu-us-ma] How to tell version numbers?

Brian DeLacey bdelacey at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 16:30:55 GMT 2009

What's the best way to track and view version numbers of the Ubuntu releases
installed on your machine? In particular, I'm wondering:

   - how to display release numbers that will differentiate between daily
   Jaunty builds?
   - how to display the version of subsystems / tarballs in the distro? (I'm
   particularly interested in wireless drivers, e.g. compat-wireless-2.6
   tarball<http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download#Archiveofcompat-wireless-2.6tarballs>
   )?
   - does running update manager on an installed Jaunty build has
   (aproximately) the same result as installing the new daily Jaunty build
   available that day?

Thanks for any suggestions,
   Brian