ubuntu-us-ma [richspk at gmail.com: [Wlug] System 76: computers with Ubuntu pre-installed]

Aaron Haviland orion at parsed.net
Wed Feb 4 21:04:50 GMT 2009

Interesting... Martin, did you make a convert of Doctorow at Pi-Con?

----- Forwarded message from Richard Klein <richspk at gmail.com> -----

From: Richard Klein <richspk at gmail.com>
To: Worcester Linux Users Group <wlug at mail.wlug.org>
Subject: [Wlug] System 76: computers with Ubuntu pre-installed

Cory Doctorow recently got a new laptop and he gave a brief review of
it in his most recent podcast.  When he switched from MacOS to Linux
he decided it was no longer worth paying the premium for Apple
hardware.  I think he said he went to IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads after that,
and he's comparing his new laptop to his previous Thinkpad.

He said the new laptop was a bit heavier than the Thinkpad, and he had
some minor issues with the keyboard layout, but it came with Intrepid
Ibex installed, and he was impressed that everything just worked,
including his T-Mobile (London) 3G cell modem.

The laptop he got was a System 76 Darter, and he seemed pretty happy with it:
http://www.system76.com/

I think this is the URL for that podcast episode:
http://craphound.com/?p=2166

--
Rich