[ubuntu-us-ma] ATTEN: CARL | Re: Anime Boston Sponsorship

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 29 21:04:32 BST 2009

And here is my first draft of a blog post for this. Again, let me know what
you think!
Title: Can Ubuntu reach over 15,000 anime lovers in April?

Can Ubuntu reach over 15,000 anime lovers in April? Of course it can, with
the support of the rapidly expanding super mega awesome community (that's
you guys)!

Anime Boston <http://animeboston.com/> returns for 2010 on April 2-4 and i
will be organizing a booth for the Ubuntu Massachusetts Local
Community Team<http://www.ubuntu-massachusetts.com/>.
Last year, i went in on behalf of the
team<http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2009/06/anime-boston-2009-recap.html>
and
dropped off 50 copies of the Ubunchu
Manga<http://doctormo.wordpress.com/2009/04/02/ubunchu-the-ubuntu-manga-is-now-in-english/>
with
Jaunty CDs attached and they were all gone within the first couple of hours
of the first day of the convention (it seemed to be the only thing on the
flyer table that people actually wanted). The event was amazing. There were
people there from all over the country, even different parts of the world.
Over 15,000 people attended and that number has risen from little over 4,000
since the first convention in 2003. For 2010, we're thinking big.

Ubuntu really is a perfect candidate for the new OS of choice for all anime
lovers, and that's exactly what we want to make it. Is there a more
widespread, passionate and tight-knit, yet diverse and open minded, cultural
phenomenon that we could target than anime? Convention goers are a great
target audience. They tend to be slightly on the geeky side, but still cool
of course, and very receptive to Ubuntu. With the right planning along with
support from the community and maybe a couple of the big dogs, our goals are
very attainable.

So, what exactly will we be doing? We can approach this from a few angles,
starting with setting up a booth in the Dealers' Room of the convention.