[ubuntu-us-ma] [Fwd: [FSF] Launching the Windows7sins Campaign - Join us Wednesday in Boston]

leftyfb leftyfb at left-click.org
Sun Aug 23 17:33:24 BST 2009

"as we conduct a ceremonial trashing of proprietary software."

Do we really need to be part of such things? I generally try to stay
away from trashing other OS's and any other technologies as a means to
promote my personal preference. I look at the ubuntu community as being
above such below the belt tactics to promote the OS and OSS in general.
Focus on the positives of what you're promoting instead of the negatives
of your competitor and you'll be more respected by the general public.

Drascus wrote:
> hey all this looks like an event that we might want to have a presence
> at if any of you are in the area and not working at that time.
>
> Mike C

> Subject:
> [FSF] Launching the Windows7sins Campaign - Join us Wednesday in Boston
> From:
> Peter Brown <peterb at fsf.org>
> Date:
> Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:28:42 -0400
> To:
> info-member at fsf.org, info-fsf at gnu.org
>
> To:
> info-member at fsf.org, info-fsf at gnu.org
> CC:
>

> Hi everyone,
>
> This Wednesday, August 26 at 11am, the Free Software Foundation will be
> launching its Windows7sins.org public awareness campaign, drawing
> attention to the threats posed by the adoption of Microsoft's
> proprietary operating system. We have a launch event here in Boston on
> the Boston Commons from noon until 3pm, and we need everyone in the area
> to come along and help out and join in the ceremony as we conduct a
> ceremonial trashing of proprietary software.
>
> **We'll be launching our Windows 7 campaign with pomp and fanfare, with
> a giant 12 foot trashcan being filled with boxes of proprietary software.**
>
> The event promises to be lots of fun, and with thousands of people
> passing through the Boston Commons every day we hope you will help us
> connect with the public by handing out information and explaining the
> benefits of free software. There will be camera crews and photographers
> capturing the event and we will be getting these images up online as
> soon as possible on the day.
>
> Let us know you're coming and bring along your friends and work
> colleagues - mail campaigns at fsf.org if you have time to help us set up,
> or just turn up at the Boston Commons near the entrance to the Public
> Gardens from noon.
>
> If you're not in the Boston area, there will be plenty for you to do to
> help us launch the campaign and get the message out. Stay tuned for
> upcoming instructions...
>
> Thanks for your support!

- --
 ,-O  Ubuntu Linux