[ubuntu-us-ma] Too Little Time, Too Much To Do, RE: Website Stuff

felicia wichrowski felicia02652 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 13:39:15 BST 2009

Hello Everyone,

I will offer my input as "the new girl" as the the general overall concept
of the MA LoCo.

When I decided to switch to Ubuntu I knew I would need to hire some guy for
a least a few hours to help me adopt, and maybe couch me a little on FOSS I
was already using, like Scribus and Gimp.

All of my local computer guys proved inadequate,  opposed to teaching me,
and practically scolded me for choosing Linux.

So I fantasized about finding this bunch of  young FOSS  guys who, having
been too smart to  get bogged down in  formal academics, lived a renegade
life of freelance tech service.    Maybe living in their Mom's basement,
doing things like hacking into highway LED signs and changing them to
"Zombies Ahead!"  Yes, I was looking for a group of geeky misfits from a
90's movie like "Sneakers" or the classic "Wargames".   What was I going to
bring to this group besides cupcakes and my ability to rent a van to drive
us to the SciFi convention in  Poughkeepsie, I did not know.  Would they
accept me?  Did I have enough potential?   And more importantly, would being
in the same room as Shatner give me the same chills I got at my first Tom
Jones concert?

The MA LoCo has exceeded my expectations, wonderfully warm and helpful
people who wanted to promote FOSS and help others benefit.  Sometimes when
asked about why I don't use WIndows...I say I'm going Old School.  Before
the monopolistic MS, there was a bunch of hippies in college compute labs,
writing software, sharing it, and making it better together.  No big
companies, no secrets.  I use the tuna noodle casserole recipe anthology.
Kinda of back to basics, humanistic vibe.  Photoshop just wants your $, they
don't care if you can learn the program.  In contrast, I can help you with
Gimp, and we can even get answers from the guys who write it.   So I guess I
really dig the Nieghbors helping neighbors angle.  The human face of
Ubuntu.  The public is tired of just paying their $ and being a customer #
who receives bad, if any support.

Well these are my thoughts today, the best I can express them...Tuesday
nights at the SETC are the best part of my week. I have never been in  such
an envelopment   so conducive to great leaps in learning,  and it has
motivated me tremendously.  I will do whatever I can to help further our
group and the mission we define for ourselves.

Thanks everyone.
Felicia W

Felicia

CapesTreasures.com