CNN does not support open-source.

danamite at bu.edu danamite at bu.edu
Fri Oct 3 20:40:27 BST 2008

Hi all,

I worked data tech support for a major wireless company for 4 years.
Most people in tech support centers are just trained on windows and
have no knowledge or experience using open source software.

Supervisors and Managers who often have no knowledge of Open Source
software inform their representatives to respond to such issues by
telling customers that non-windows OS based software are not supported.
This even happens with Mac OS based software until customers begin to
take their business elsewhere, then management begins to do something
about it.

Sometimes this is very frustrating for both tech reps and customers.

In most cases, it takes the initiative of individual tech support
representatives to look for Open Source solutions to most of these
issues to better serve their customers.

When I did tech support, some of us decided to arm ourselves with Open
Source knowledge so we could address the concerns of our customers who
do not use windows. Had nothing to do with management because they
usually are ignorant and do not want to deal with it.

I watch cnn live on my ubuntu machine with no problems using firefox.
There are a number of firefox media plugins that will play almost every
kind of streaming media out there.

I am going to email CNN's tech support team with a solution to this
issue and hopefully they will add that to their knowledge base system
and be able to assist their Linux based viewers in the future.

Time to educate those who are supposed to be in technical support roles!