help needed upgrading

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 13:31:49 GMT 2008

> This message refers to 'malformed release file[s]: how can I discover
> which ones, and remedy the problem?

Your errors sound bad, they sounds like the sources.list has been
mangled. Have you tried to change the source mirror in System >
Administration > Software Sources; this may fix your problem.

> I have downloaded the ISO images of the GUI install and the alternate
> install disks for 8.10 --- but am unsure how to proceed to install
> [upgrade to] Intrepid without chancing losing all my documents and
> graphics files on my hard drive.
> For some reason the gui install disk hangs up right away - on hitting
> enter from the first screen. The alternate does not seem to have any
> such problem with my system but as I say, i am unsure how to proceed,
> and really do not want to risk having to recreate all those forms &
> documents [guess I'd better make back up disks of them] and likewise
> with all my family photos & other graphics files.

If you are very worried, then you should come down to the South End
Technology Center on Tuesdays (tonight for example) there I can help you
(and anyone else) figure out problems with their install.

Dont worry about bringing laptop or desktop machine. Plenty of cables,
monitors to hook things up to.