Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron

Daniel Hollocher ubuntu-us-ma at openleadership.org
Fri Mar 28 15:50:26 GMT 2008

I think the ff3 issue is interesting.  The choice is between supporting ff2
for 3 years! or wait a few months for the release of ff3.  The whole point
of the Ubuntu time based release schedule is to NOT wait for ff3 to come
out, but to release anyway.  No software is allowed to block the release
schedule.  But, there are at least a few, including me, that would like to
see ff3 be included.

When I was subscribed to the devel-discuss, someone suggested staying with
ff2, and then having a point release when ff3 comes out.  Or maybe it was do
that for regular hardy, and also hold back hardy LTS completely until ff3
comes out.  Anyway, I think it will be very interesting to see what
compromises Ubuntu will make.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Jeffrey Finkelstein <
jeffrey.finkelstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> The biggest and most important change for me is that Compiz now works
> with the ATI card on my laptop (sadly, it has to be the proprietary
> fglrx driver). If they really want to enable compiz by default, they
> better make sure it works with as many cards as possible.
>
> Other than that, everything seems good. I'm very glad that they have
> included the xrandr GUI for attaching multiple displays to a system,
> which has traditionally been a problem for Linux (see here for more
> info on that: http://bryceharrington.org/drupal/ ).

In science and in mind, the impossible and the hasn't-happened-yet are
indistinguishable.