Launching Ubuntu from USB Thumb Drives

Brian DeLacey bdelacey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 06:02:11 BST 2008

Thanks -- the two machines I have are both relatively new and do not work
with 8.04, so that's one hurdle.

These machines both run CD installations of 7.10 fine, but I can't get them
to boot from the 7.10 pendrivelinux instructions at
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-install/-
I get a boot error with the resulting thumb drive.

Those PenDriveLinux instructions do seem really clear and the best I've
seen. In the end this may be a user error on my part.

It's worth noting that Fedora has a new "liveusb-creator" application that
easily and automatically creates persisting thumb-drive images without lots
of typing -  in just a matter of minutes. It would be great if something
similar could find its way into Ubuntu.

Brian