Introduction of Sorts

Ralph deGennaro rmdegennaro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 15:45:29 BST 2008

Hi everyone,

Yes "Rio", and if you say my last name out loud you will probably get
why I have that nickname.  If not, think of a city in Brazil.  ;-)

A bit of formal introduction below, and a few other things first.  I do
hope to meet everyone that was at the SETC and everyone else
face-to-face at some point.  I also encourage people to introduce
themselves to me if they want.  Most people say I'm an easy guy to get
along with.  I'm also the type to try his hand at anything.  If you've
got a cool idea, especially about linux, and you understand who is
jumping in, I'd love to jump in.

So, now some more info about whom might be jumping in...

I graduated with a degree in Psychology, but pretty much worked my way
through college doing tech-support work and some dBase III+
programming.  I was stuck in a Windows world for along time, but it
didn't scare me too bad.  I did get to learn alot about the internals of
Win 3.1, Win NT as well as Paradox at the time.

To fast forward a bit, my career has kept me a jack of all trades (in
computers at least).  I've worked in various capacities at mostly
software companies, but in the past 5 years or so have worked on the IT
side in other companies.  Technically, I seem to have kept work with
databases in general, and "omni-philic" for OS administration.  My daily
work includes different DBMS's on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.  I do
alot of project management and tech-team organizational type work as
well.  I also do some training, support and QA work at times.  I would
not consider myself a programmer, but do dable and script as needed.
This is all mostly with 2 businesses currently, but also with various
other small businesses I've come into contact with.

So, my linux history?  Around 1999/2000 I picked up a Linux book because
I wanted to learn Unix, and could run it on my own computer.  I'm pretty
sure the distro on the CD was RedHat, so started there.  A colleague
pointed me in the direction of Mandrake (now Mandriva) and that was an
easier intro to it all.  At some point I jumped into Gentoo to learn the
nuts and bolts of a distro.  That was an interesting experience, and
though I still use Gentoo, I now use Ubuntu because I don't have time to
track down fixes to breakages on production machines.

Phew, sorry if I was too long winded and that it sounded like a cover
letter.  Again, feel free to email on anything.  I look forward to
taking this unknown step towards helping the various communities around
me.

Best,
Rio