SETC - Project FUBAR Fix

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 02:18:02 BST 2008

Dear All,

We have a problem, as we were invited to help look after the south end
technologies ubuntu computers we have been applying updates and
keeping them up to do with new releases.

A problem has occured though in our recent upgrade to ubuntu 8.04, the
installer by default is set to demolish the entire hard drive and make
way for ubuntu, it does this because it doesn't understand the
partitions (even though by rights it should)

So all those ubuntu machines which used to be duel boot are no longer
so. And the tech people at SETC are rightfully upset at our error. And
because it's our error we must fix it, personal responsibility for
mistakes is something I hold very dear, so next Tuesday there will be
no teaching; instead we will be reinstalling windows on each of the
machines and helping setup what ever has gone wrong and we will set
right what ever we have broken.

So i will need volunteers to come and learn how to install windows,
it's not east or pretty but it needs to be done.

Hopefully by helping set this right we can regain the trust we once
had and continue to teach there, as SETC is one of the most successful
community events we organise.

Best Regards, Martin Owens